Simon Gadbois • Wildlife Conservation Canines and Ethology Lab
Talks as guest/keynote speaker, and presentation at seminars, workshops (regional, national and international)
See here for seminar-related invitation information.
Lemonade conference (February), Aggression in Dogs, CALAS/CCAC, Two webinars for Spain, K9 Conservationists, Control the Meerkat, Aggression in Dogs (Providence, RI), etc.
2020–2021: Everything was online.
Online talks and webinars not listed here, but all of 2020–2021 was online, e.g., with PPG’s GeekWeek, AZCA, etc.
Please note that, after honouring my commitments for 2018 and 2019 (and having to say no to many kind invitations and requests), I will be doing mostly Canadian seminars or webinar-based talks in 2019. I thank all the organizers that have been patient in 2017 and 2018 with my late replies and taking a long time to confirm arrangements and getting back to them. I apologize for declining so many offers for 2018 and 2019 and many of you now know why and I thank you for your patience and understanding. Appropriately I wish all health, love and resilience above everything else in 2019 and beyond.
- ACTION Conference: Welfare Implications of Unethical Breeding and Psychological Trauma in Dogs Friday 30 August to Sunday 1 September 2019. Chesford Grange Hotel, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, UK: http://www.animaleventsuk.com/product/action-conference/
- Two talks:
- “The effect of trauma and stress on the brain and endocrine system”
- “Olfactory training and stimulation as a potential tool for rehabilitation”
- Athenæum Society of Nova Scotia (Ocean Swells Community Centre, 2724 Highway 329 in Northwest Cove): “Sniffer dogs as research assistants in wildlife conservation and biomedical assistance: The Contribution of Dogs to Biomedical and Conservation Issues”. June 16, 2019.
- Montréal, Canada with AZCA/Anne Lise Paul (Two day seminar, in French; May 11–12, 2019)
Plus a few webinar-based talks in 2019: Announced online by the organizers.
- Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, (Berwick Library), Jijuktu’kwejk Watershed Alliance: Talk on Wildlife Conservation Canines. April 12th, 2018, 7 pm.
- Montréal, Canada with AZCA/Anne Lise Paul (in French; April 21–22, 2018)
- Warsaw, Poland, with Kasia Patej and Z PSEM W PEŁNI, (in English; May 11–13, 2018): https://www.facebook.com/events/341926022958113/. Three-day seminar.
- Warsaw, Poland, talk with the Polish Ethological Society and the Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology “Integrating sensory neuroscience, ethology and psychophysics for a better science of scent processing by canines” (in English, May 14, 2018).
- Paris, France with DogEvent Science/Benjamin Bonhomme (in French, June 15–17, 2018): 3 talks
- "Le traitement canin de l’information olfactive: Une perspective moderne et appliquée”
- "La motivation canine et la magie de l’anticipation: Vouloir, aimer, apprendre”
- “Les écoles de pensées en éducation canine: Au delà de l’évangélisme béhaviouriste” (“Les écoles de pensées en éducation canine: du béhaviourisme au post-cognitivisme”)
- Vienna, Austria with Happy-Fellow® Canine Conference/Gernot Sadovsky (in English, June 23–24, 2018): 2 talks
- “Applied canine olfactory processing: Modern scent work and neuroscience”
- “The dynamic of motivation: Wanting, Liking and Learning”
- Denmark (February 25 and 6, 2017)
- Italy (September 30th and October 1st, 2017).
- Ville de Québec, Canada with SNIF/Louis Cimon (in French; 28–29 October 2017)
- Oxfordshire Animal Behaviour Centre, in the UK (http://oabc.org.uk/seminars/), February 13–14
- Canine Science Forum, Padova, Italy, June 2016
- Animal Behaviour Society (Comparative Canine Behaviour Symposium), Columbia, Missouri, July 2016
- Stuttgart, Germany for BHV (Berufsverband der Hundeerzieher/innen und Verhaltensberater/innen e.V.). November 14–15.
- Erice, Italy for EthoDog. November 17–21.
July 8, 2015:
- 2015 Ethology and Canine Behavior Lecture Series: http://e-trainingfordogs.com/2015/03/scent-processing-in-dogs/
June 6–8, 2015:
- SPARCS 2015: Quick remote interview on June 21st
- DOGGO in the Netherlands (http://www.doggo.nl/agenda/gadbois.php)
May 22–24, 2015:
- BF Skinner Lecture Series, ABAI (Association for Behavior Analysis International), San Antonio Texas, USA.
June 28–30, 2014:
October 23–27, 2013:
October 2nd, 2013:
Dalhousie Marine Biology Society event: Screening of “Blackfish” and panel discussion with Hal Whitehead, Timothy Frasier, Susan Dieleman.
July 11–13, 2013:
- Halifax, with Marc Bekoff, Bob Crabtree & Camilla Fox
May 10–11, 2013:
- NS SPCA: Animal Wellness Conference
February 2nd 2013:
- SNIF! Québec City, QC, Canada.
November 11 2012:
- Congrès International de Zoothérapie. Québec City, QC, Canada.
- Lecture for Stephen Boos, King’s College, on canines (sniffer dogs) as research assistants for field biology.
September 27 2012:
- King’s College Lecture Series on “Animals and Animality”, Halifax, NS, Canada. “Co-existing with Coyotes: Science and Fiction.” 7:30 to 9:00 in Alumni Hall, King’s College.
- Centre Canin de Montréal, Canada. Seminar on “Aggression et aggressvité chez les canidés” [Aggression & Aggressiveness in Canids]. Weekend of June 9–10.
- Conversations on Animism, Animals, Responsiveness with Isabelle Stengers, Simon Gadbois and Brian Noble, McCulloch Museum, Life Sciences Centre, Dalhousie University, Canada.
- Chienposium, Montreal, Canada
- Blomidon Naturalist Society, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Animal Study Group, Dalhousie University, Canada
- SEEVAD (Société Européenne d’Éthologie Vétérinaire des Animaux Domestiques) - Alfort, France
- Chienposium, Montreal, Canada
- Biology Department, Acadia University, Wolfville, Canada
- Atlantic Veterinary College, UPEI, PEI, Canada
- Psychology and Neuroscience Colloquium, Dalhousie University, Canada
- Situating Science Work in Progress, King’s University, Canada
- Canine Science Forum, Vienna, Austria
- Atlantic Veterinary College, Canada
- PEI Wildlife Federation meeting, Canada
Note: I started being invited at scientific and non-scientific (canine) conferences in 2007, but started to document the guest speaking events only in 2010.