Canid and Reptile Behaviour and Olfaction Lab (Simon Gadbois, PhD)
Team and lab
- Supervisor / Principal Investigator: Simon Gadbois, PhD
- Research associate, consultant (dogs, reptiles, ecotoxicology): Jessica Rock, DVM
- Collaborators (reptile research): Jeffie McNeil (MTRI), Drs Steve Mockford and Tom Herman (Acadia University)
- International collaborator: Catherine Reeve, PhD
- Many undergraduate students that can’t be thanked enough for their dedication
- Wildlife Conservation Dogs resident team: Flynn and Ivy
- Hundreds of canine trainees! (2007 onward)
- For information on volunteering in the lab, click here
- Laura Kiiroja (IDPhD candidate, 2018-current)
- Amy Harrington (MSc candidate (Faculty of Agriculture) - co-supervised with Dr. Miriam Gordon, 2018-current)
- 4–5 upcoming Honours students for 2019–2020 to be confirmed.
- Lindsay Colyn (Neuroscience, Honours student, Neuroscience, 2018–2019)
- Josh Dort (Psychology, Independent Project, 2018–2019)
- Michael Klasz (Psychology, Independent Project, 2018–2019)
- Catherine Reeve (Ph.D, Experimental Psychology): canine hypoglycemia detection in youth with Type I diabetes (primary; thesis), wood boring insect detection (secondary; comp)
- Ella Macquisten: Biology, Independent Project: Wood turtles in the Musquodoboit River watershed
- Kelly Forrester (Biology, Honours student, 2017): Stress detection dogs
- Mariah Ward (Psychology, Independent Project, 2017): Stress detection dogs
- Rebecca Grestoni (Psychology, Independent Project, 2017): Stress detection dogs
- Sonia Smith (Honours, Psychology, 2015–2016): HDDs
- Chloe Blackman (Independent project, Neuroscience, 2015–2016): HDDs
- Danielle Rasetti (Honours, Biology, 2014–2015): Pulmonate vs. canines in remote scenting applications for pest detection.
- Paige Crowell (Honours, Biology, 2014–2105): Pulmonate temperament profiles in relation to pavlovian conditioning for olfactory learning.
- Larissa Darc (Independent Project, Biology, 2014–2015): Sexing sexually monomorphic hatchlings (Storm Petrels) with scent dogs.
- Cortney Jones (Independent Project, Psychology, 2014–2105): HDDs
- Kim Stehouwer (Independent Project, Psychology, 2014–2105): HDDs
- Jennifer Crawford (Independent Project, Psychology, 2014–2105): HDDs
- Emma Hoffman (Honours, Environmental Science): BSLB detection; lab experiments. 2014.
- Megan Thompson (Honours, Biology): ribbonsnakes in Kejimkujik National Park. 2014.
- Fielding Montgomery (Honours, Biology): BSLB detection; field experiments. 2014.
- Olivia Sievert (Honours, Marine Biology): action sequences of food caching red foxes. 2014.
- Kristy Wallace (Honours, Biology/Psychology): hypoglycemia detection. 2014.
- Hailey Richardson (Honours, Psychology): methodological questions to test the olfactomotor theory. 2014.
- Yasmeen Ghebari (Independent project, Psychology): methodological questions to test the advantage of the box system over the line-up. 2014.
- Lauren Westhaver (experiential course; Biology). 2014.
- Kate Porter (MES, School for Resource and Environmental Studies, Dalhousie U.). 2013.
- Kristen Sora (experiential course, Marine Biology). 2013
- Julia Delle Cave, Veterinary student intern, Toulouse, France, 2013.
- Julia Fitzgerald (BA Honours, SMU). 2013.
- Shantel Sparkes (BSc Honours, Psychology). 2013.
- David Adams (BSc Honours, Biology). 2013.
- Meghan MacDonald (BSc Honours, Psychology). 2013.
- Surina Anstey (BSc Honours, Biology). 2013.
- Amy Silver (BSc Psychology, independent project). 2012.
- Liz Campbell (BSc Honours, Biology, independent project). 2012–2013.
- Florence Lemarié, Veterinary student intern, Nantes, France. 2012.
- Elsa Louvet, Veterinary student intern, Nantes, France. 2012.
- Kirsti Jangaard (BSc Honours candidate; neuroscience). 2012.
- Leisha Seymour, BA (Concordia), Honours Equivalency SMU. 2012.
- Karina Schell (Masters candidate, Biology, Göttingen, Germany). 2012.
- Kate Thompson, MSc, PhD candidate, for a comprehensive project. 2012.
- Cindy Hamon-Hill (PhD): Comprehensive project. Empathy and play in canids. 2011–2012.
- Stephanie Collins Zwicker, MSc, PhD candidate for a comprehensive project.
- Brittany Hilton (Honours candidate, SMU). Not completed.
- Kayla Cruickshank (3000 project level).
- Christine Riordan, BSc (biology), (Honours student, psychology, 2009–2010)
- Alisa Miller, (Honours student, biology, 2009–2010)
- Delphine Mousse (graduate student, biology, Université Jean Monnet; research internship)
- Stephanie Collins (MSc candidate, psychology); PSYO 5002 project
- Michael Demontfaucon (graduate student, biology, Université de Paris XIII, 2009; research internship)
- Tom Howells (Honours student, psychology, 2008–2009)
- Kavita Raju (undergraduate student, psychology, 2008–2009); PSYO 3000 project
- Meredith Flannery (MSc candidate, psychology, 2007–2008); PSYO 5001 project
- Rachael Craig (undergraduate student, neuroscience; co-supervised with Roger Croll); NESC 3000 project
- Aris Lavranos (Honours student, neuroscience, 2007–2008; co-supervised with Leslie Phillmore [primary])
- Alison Green (Honours student, biology, 2007)
- Peter Smith (Honours student, biology, 2007; co-supervised with Roger Croll)
- Jacob Lingley (undergraduate student, neuroscience; NESC 3001 project)
- Kim Bourque (Honours student, neuroscience, 2006)
- Beth Campbell (Honours student, biology, 2006; co-supervised with Shannon Bard [primary])
- Heather-Dawn Wood (MSc student, neuroscience, 2005–2007; co-supervised with Roger Croll)
- Barbara Molnar (MSc biology, Université de Neufchâtel, 2005)
- Mitsue Fujita (BSc; Acadia U., 2000)
- Sophie LeBlois (“Applied Ecology”, C.E.G.E.P. de La Pocatière, La Pocatière, QC, 1996); internship at the Canadian Centre for Wolf Research)
Partners / collaborators from former projects:
NS Power, DNR, Oxford Frozen Foods: Using wildlife conservation canines to assess bat and bird fatalities at the South Canoe Windfarm.
Forestry project (Invasive Insects Detection)
- Forest Protection Limited: David Davies
- Sylvar Technologies: Stefan Richard / Dr. Renée Lapointe
- Natural Resources Canada / Canadian Forest Service: Dr. Jon Sweeney, Kate Van Rooyen
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA): Troy Kimoto
- Halifax Service: Dr. Deborah Austin, Dan Kehler
- Cape Breton Highlands National Park: Erich Muntz, Derek Quann
- Kejimkujik National Park: Duncan Smith
- Reptiles: Dr. Stephen Mockford, Dr. Tom Herman
- Dogs and olfactory learning: Dr. Vincent LoLordo (animal learning)
- Coyotes: Dr. Tara Perrot (endocrinology)
MTRI (Mersey-Tobeatic Research Institute)
CARP (Clean Annapolis River Projects)
- Wood turtles: Carolyn Hann
IWK Health Centre
- Hypoglycemia detection and assistance dogs:
- Dr. Elizabeth Cummings (Pediatric Endocrinology)
- Dr. Elizabeth McLaughlin (Pediatric Health Psychology)
- Dr. Catherine Reeve (Queen’s University, Belfast)