Research Methods in Experimental Psychology (PSYO 2000) and Principles and Methods in Neuroscience (NESC 2007)
- Fall 2018: Please contact Dr. John Christie for the laboratory sections (psychology and neuroscience labs).
- Syllabus and lecture notes: On Brightspace
Please note that for 2018–2019, students in Neuroscience will take Research Methods in Experimental Psychology (PSYO 2000) and do not need to register in Principles and Methods in Neuroscience (NESC 2007)
FAQ’s for PSYO 2000 and NESC 2007
Can I get in (assuming I am a Dalhousie student)?
If you answer “no” to any of the questions below, I am afraid you can’t:
- Do you have “Psychology” or “Neuroscience” declared as your Major?
- Do you have B- or better in both sections of Introductory Psychology & Neuroscience (PSYO 1011/1012 or PSYO 1021/1022)? Alternatively, DISP (also with a grade of B- or better).
I am missing one or more of the requirements, what can I do?
- Declare Psychology or Neuroscience as your Major.
- Re-take the section or sections of Intro that you scored below B-.
- Take PSYO–2000 or NESC–2007 at a later date, when you have all the needed requirements.
NESC 2007 is full, it is already September, what can I do?
- Take PSYO 2000. It is actually equivalent to NESC 2007. This will not apply anyway to 2018–2019 (see the note above).
Is it true I need to do well in PSYO 2000 to continue in Psychology or NESC 2007 to continue in Neuroscience?
- No doubt if you are thinking of getting into the Honours program. For some 3000-level courses, you need B- or B or better in PSYO 2000 or NESC 2007 (This is not unique to Dalhousie. The main research method course in most psychology/neuroscience programs is a crucial requirement to obtain a degree in Psychology or Neuroscience).
Do I need B or better to continue with my psychology or neuroscience courses?
- No. If you passed PSYO 2000 or NESC 2007, you can continue, as long as you address the minimal grade requirement at some point (i.e., before it is needed as a prerequisite for more advanced classes, Honours, etc.).