Simon Gadbois • Canid and Reptile Behaviour and Olfaction Lab
Talks as guest/keynote speaker, and presentation at seminars, workshops (regional, national and international)
See here for seminar-related invitation information.
Please note that, after honouring my commitments for 2018 (although having to say no to many kind invitations and requests), I will be doing mostly Canadian seminars or webinar-based talks in 2019 except for a commitment listed below. I thank all the organizers that have been patient in 2017 and 2018 with my late replies and taking a long time to confirm arrangements and getting back to them. I apologize for declining so many offers for 2018 and 2019 and many of you now know why and I thank you for your patience and understanding. Appropriately I wish all health, love and resilience above everything else in 2019 and beyond.
- ACTION Conference: Welfare Implications of Unethical Breeding and Psychological Trauma in Dogs Friday 30 August to Sunday 1 September 2019. Chesford Grange Hotel, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, UK: http://www.animaleventsuk.com/product/action-conference/
- Two talks:
- “The effect of trauma and stress on the brain and endocrine system”
- “Olfactory training and stimulation as a potential tool for rehabilitation”
- Montréal, Canada with AZCA/Anne Lise Paul (in French; May, 2019)
A few mostly Canadian seminars or talks and webinar-based talks to confirm in January 2019.
- Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, (Berwick Library), Jijuktu’kwejk Watershed Alliance: Talk on Wildlife Conservation Canines. April 12th, 2018, 7 pm.
- Montréal, Canada with AZCA/Anne Lise Paul (in French; April 21–22, 2018)
- Warsaw, Poland, with Kasia Patej and Z PSEM W PEŁNI, (in English; May 11–13, 2018): https://www.facebook.com/events/341926022958113/. Three-day seminar.
- Warsaw, Poland, talk with the Polish Ethological Society and the Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology “Integrating sensory neuroscience, ethology and psychophysics for a better science of scent processing by canines” (in English, May 14, 2018).
- Paris, France with DogEvent Science/Benjamin Bonhomme (in French, June 15–17, 2018): 3 talks
- "Le traitement canin de l’information olfactive: Une perspective moderne et appliquée”
- "La motivation canine et la magie de l’anticipation: Vouloir, aimer, apprendre”
- “Les écoles de pensées en éducation canine: Au delà de l’évangélisme béhaviouriste” (“Les écoles de pensées en éducation canine: du béhaviourisme au post-cognitivisme”)
- Vienna, Austria with Happy-Fellow® Canine Conference/Gernot Sadovsky (in English, June 23–24, 2018): 2 talks
- “Applied canine olfactory processing: Modern scent work and neuroscience”
- “The dynamic of motivation: Wanting, Liking and Learning”
- Denmark (February 25 and 6, 2017)
- Italy (September 30th and October 1st, 2017).
- Ville de Québec, Canada with SNIF/Louis Cimon (in French; 28–29 October 2017)
- Oxfordshire Animal Behaviour Centre, in the UK (http://oabc.org.uk/seminars/), February 13–14
- Canine Science Forum, Padova, Italy, June 2016
- Animal Behaviour Society (Comparative Canine Behaviour Symposium), Columbia, Missouri, July 2016
- Stuttgart, Germany for BHV (Berufsverband der Hundeerzieher/innen und Verhaltensberater/innen e.V.). November 14–15.
- Erice, Italy for EthoDog. November 17–21.
July 8, 2015:
- 2015 Ethology and Canine Behavior Lecture Series: http://e-trainingfordogs.com/2015/03/scent-processing-in-dogs/
June 6–8, 2015:
- SPARCS 2015: Quick remote interview on June 21st
- DOGGO in the Netherlands (http://www.doggo.nl/agenda/gadbois.php)
May 22–24, 2015:
- BF Skinner Lecture Series, ABAI (Association for Behavior Analysis International), San Antonio Texas, USA.
June 28–30, 2014:
October 23–27, 2013:
October 2nd, 2013:
Dalhousie Marine Biology Society event: Screening of “Blackfish” and panel discussion with Hal Whitehead, Timothy Frasier, Susan Dieleman.
July 11–13, 2013:
- Halifax, with Marc Bekoff, Bob Crabtree & Camilla Fox
May 10–11, 2013:
- NS SPCA: Animal Wellness Conference
February 2nd 2013:
- SNIF! Québec City, QC, Canada.
November 11 2012:
- Congrès International de Zoothérapie. Québec City, QC, Canada.
- Lecture for Stephen Boos, King’s College, on canines (sniffer dogs) as research assistants for field biology.
September 27 2012:
- King’s College Lecture Series on “Animals and Animality”, Halifax, NS, Canada. “Co-existing with Coyotes: Science and Fiction.” 7:30 to 9:00 in Alumni Hall, King’s College.
- Centre Canin de Montréal, Canada. Seminar on “Aggression et aggressvité chez les canidés” [Aggression & Aggressiveness in Canids]. Weekend of June 9–10.
- Conversations on Animism, Animals, Responsiveness with Isabelle Stengers, Simon Gadbois and Brian Noble, McCulloch Museum, Life Sciences Centre, Dalhousie University, Canada.
- Chienposium, Montreal, Canada
- Blomidon Naturalist Society, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Animal Study Group, Dalhousie University, Canada
- SEEVAD (Société Européenne d’Éthologie Vétérinaire des Animaux Domestiques) - Alfort, France
- Chienposium, Montreal, Canada
- Biology Department, Acadia University, Wolfville, Canada
- Atlantic Veterinary College, UPEI, PEI, Canada
- Psychology and Neuroscience Colloquium, Dalhousie University, Canada
- Situating Science Work in Progress, King’s University, Canada
- Canine Science Forum, Vienna, Austria
- Atlantic Veterinary College, Canada
- PEI Wildlife Federation meeting, Canada
Note: I started being invited at scientific and non-scientific (canine) conferences in 2007, but started to document the guest speaking events only in 2010.